About Ms. Meeghan Binder

I have been a general music teacher for the past 21 years with the last 15 being in Forest Park School District 91. I greatly enjoy learning about fun and exciting new ways to teach students to become aspiring musicians. Learn more about me below.

MBinder_Picture 2Click on my picture to learn about my work at DePaul University School of Music!

What schools have you attended?

I grew up in the Cicero, IL area before moving to the northwest suburb of Algonquin, IL. I attended K.E. Neubert Elementary School, Dundee Middle School and graduated from H.D. Jacobs High School. While in fifth grade, I began playing the flute and fell in love with learning music. After graduating high school, I attended Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, IL and recieved an Bachelors Degree in Music Education. I then went on to receive a Masters Degree in Music Education from DePaul University. I also have earned teaching endorsements in Special Education and English as a Second Language and am also currently working a reading endorsement as well as taking classes to earn towards my principal license.

What instruments do you play?

I have played the flute for 30 years and the piano for 18 years. I sing in choirs and also have played with West African Drumming and Japanese Taiko drumming groups. I also play six different voicing of the recorder!

Click here to listen to Mrs. Binder play her flute on a recital!

What have you learned about teaching?

I love learning about how to be a better music teacher and I continue to train all the time. I hold a National Board Teaching Certification and am both Orff-Schulwerk Certified and Kodaly Certified. I also learn more by teaching. Currently I serve as an adjunct faculty member for DePaul University’s School of Music and I help teach professional development for teachers over the summer and during the school year. This summer I will also be instructing music teachers at Anderson University in Indiana. This past school year, I presented to music teachers in Elgin School District 46 and at two separate Music Teacher Workshops. I also occasionally have student teachers who help teach music classes with me.

What is you favorite type of music?

Jazz mainly, but I love all styles of music when they strike my fancy!

Taiko Meg